Tax Savings Through an Accredited Foundation
The Community Foundation of Northeast Iowa is a qualified community foundation* that provides access to Endow Iowa Tax Credits. Endow Iowa allows taxpayers to receive a 25% Iowa tax credit, in addition to normal federal charitable income tax deductions, for gifts made to permanent endowment funds that benefit Iowa charitable causes.
Since the inception of the Endow Iowa Tax Credit Program, Iowa Community Foundations have leveraged nearly $200 million in permanent endowment fund gifts. Endow Iowa Tax Credits allow donors to have even greater impact on their philanthropic interests in Iowa now and into the future. When you donate to a permanently endowed fund you’re not only helping your neighbors today, you’re building a stronger community tomorrow.
$6 million in Endow Iowa tax credits will be awarded in 2017.
How It Works
- A variety of gifts qualify for Endow Iowa Tax Credits including cash, real estate, appreciated securities and outright gifts of retirement assets.
- Only gifts to qualified permanent endowment funds benefiting Iowa charitable causes are eligible to receive the tax credits.
- Tax credits of 25% of the gifted amount are limited to $300,000 in tax credits per individual for a gift of $1.2 million or $600,000 in tax credits per couple for a gift of $2.4 million if both are Iowa taxpayers.
- Eligible gifts will qualify for credits on a first-come/first-serve basis until the yearly appropriated limit is reached, currently $6 million. If the current available Endow Iowa Tax Credits have been awarded, qualified donors will be eligible for the next year's Endow Iowa Tax Credits. The Community Foundation encourages donors to act early in the year to ensure they receive Endow Iowa credits.
- All qualified donors can carry forward the tax credit for up to five years after the year the donation was made.
We encourage donors to consult with tax advisors to review their individual circumstances and learn how they can take advantage of this unique opportunity.
*The Community Foundation of Northeast Iowa is confirmed in compliance with National Standards for U.S. Community Foundations.